Reply To: Recent TV Production Graduate – Seeking Advice/Mentorship

Home Forum General Discussions Recent TV Production Graduate – Seeking Advice/Mentorship Reply To: Recent TV Production Graduate – Seeking Advice/Mentorship

a
James
Administrator

Hey Charlie,

Very good question and I’m sure you’ll get some very insightful answers.

The first thing I would say is I have no drama tv experience but I do have technical tv experience. I never really did running work because felt that led me more down the ‘production’ side of tv and not ‘technical’ however my first job was a ‘junior technical operator’ in shopping tv. Other companies call them multi skilled operators so you could also look at a junior MSO roles.

The reason I found this job so amazing was because I got to learn a broad variety of roles at a junior level gaining experience in the industry. I know ITV daytime and other companies do recruit these job roles so you’d learn a bit about cameras, lighting etc. I think it could be beneficial to learn the ropes like this then push into drama work as perhaps a camera assistant or likewise?

Again I’m sure there’s some camera operators on here who will be able to give you their insight too.

Cheers,
James