- August 27, 2021 at 10:42 am #2024s
I’m currently working as a multi-skilled operator and loving my job. Having the opportunity to work across different aspects of production such as autocue, VT and helping on the floor, is fantastic. I am learning constantly and delving into a number of roles, gaining skills and knowledge along the way. Long term my sights are set on being a Floor Manger. While I have the opportunity to work across many aspects of tv, what skills or areas do you think I should focus in on to help with progression as a AFM or FM in the future?
- August 31, 2021 at 3:58 pm #2039m
It’s fantastic you’re already working in various roles. I would suggest these are key areas to focus on:
• Understanding the communication chain on a production between the Prod Manager -Producer- Director- FM – Cam Super – Sound Super – Presenter.
• Understanding the order of a schedule and how an FM is key to keeping it moving by thinking ahead.
– Observe how the productions that you’re working on pass down information from production to presenter. The FM is there to make that as a smooth a passage as possible.
• Above everything it’s a “people” job! Meaning you have to be approachable, clear in your communication, able to listen.
Hope this is of some help.
Log in to reply.